DISTRICT OF SAN MARTINO AND PIAZZA DEL CAMPO
br> The Third of San Martino was formed along the Francigena, the road that led pilgrims to Rome.
The name of the village is not so random: San Martino was in fact the patron saint of pilgrims and travelers.
TORRE DEL EAT
The curious name of the Tower (1325 - 1349) depends on the enormous salary of the bell-ringer Giovanni di Duccio Mangiaguadagni said. When he died replaced him with a robot of wood, metal, and then finally travertine. The remains of the latter are visible in the Courtyard of the Podesta, within the Public Palace. Climbing over 400 steps to the top of the tower (87 meters) you enjoy a spectacular view of the city.
Piazza Campo, 1
Tel. 0577 292223 - 226-342
01:03 to 15:10: 10.00 to 19.00
from 10.16 at the end of February: 10.00 to 16.00
symbol of independence and wealth of Siena, is one of the most important examples of Gothic civil architecture in the world.
The palace is a treasure trove of art masterpieces. Some of the most beautiful rooms belong to the Museum and are open to the public: the Hall of the Globe with the conquest of the castle of Giuncarico last work by Duccio (1315 - 1320) Majesty (1315 - 1321) and the Guidoriccio (1328 - 1329) by Simone Martini. There are the internal Chapel, the Consistory Hall and the Hall of Peace with images of Good and Bad Government by Ambrogio Lorenzetti painted (1338-39) where you can see the medieval town with its shops and its craftsmen. At the center of the Allegory of Good Government, a woman dressed in white lying on armor is the universal emblem of Peace chosen by Unesco.
Piazza Campo, 1
Tel. 0577 292223 - 226-263
from 3.16 to 31.10: 10.00 to 19.00
1:11 to 15:03: 10.00 to 18.00
The name recalls the joy of Siena for the arrival of water in the center of the city in 1346, after almost ten years of excavation to create a "booty" that is a very long underground aqueduct barrel-vaulted. At the beginning of the fifteenth century Source fourteenth century it was replaced by Jacopo della Quercia, whose original marbles are now in the museum complex of Santa Maria della Scala. The current Fonte Gaia is a copy of Tito Sarrocchi (1869) and is moved ten meters from the first to center on the square.
CHURCH OF THE SERVANTS
Begun in the thirteenth century by the Servite Fathers from Montesenario, the church was not yet finished when it was consecrated in 1533. The churchyard is an authentic lookout over the medieval city. The interior is rich in works of art, including the Madonna and Child known as the "Bordone" painted in 1261 by Coppo di Marcovaldo. And 'one of the most beautiful paintings of the mid-thirteenth century but also has a curious history.
Coppo of Marcovaldo took part in the battle of Montaperti with the Florentine army and was taken prisoner by the victors of Siena. How it does had money to pay the ransom but told his jailers "I know paint" and while returning free realized a masterpiece.
From Via dei Servi going from via San Girolamo return to via Pantaneto to turn left immediately for Dog and Cat Street which leads to the alley of Goldsmiths, an untouched corner of old Siena.
NATIONAL GALLERY OF SIENA Flat For Via San Pietro are the National Art Gallery, which keeps inside masterpieces of the greatest Sienese artists: Duccio, Simone Martini, the Lorenzetti brothers, Domenico Beccafumi and many others. Portrait Of particular interest are the tables for "gold background" which begins with the fortune of the great Sienese painting as the reredos of the master of Tressa. Hotel Palazzo Buonsignori Via San Pietro, 29
Tel. 0577 281161 - 286143
Monday: 8.30 to 13.30;
from Tuesday to Saturday: 8.15 to 19.15;
Sundays and holidays: 8.15 to 13.15
The facade of the Duomo, begun in the late thirteenth century by Giovanni Pisano, it offers all its spectacular beauty thanks to recent restoration. To the right, in piazza Jacopo della Quercia, the remains of the "new cathedral", which the Sienese tried to build before the plague of 1348 and the collapse of the ground forced them to abandon the project. The facciatone the "new cathedral", accessible from the Museo dell'Opera, climbing 130 steps, offers a beautiful view of the city.
The floor of the Duomo is an "illustrated Bible" with 56 squares of inlaid marble and graffiti carried out between 1369 and 1547 and designed by famous artists such as Matteo di Giovanni and Domenico Beccafumi. On the left the "Piccolomini Library" and in the aisles of the works of the greatest Italian sculptors: Nicola Pisano, Donatello, Michelangelo and Bernini.
1:03 to 15:03: 10.30 to 19.30
from 3.16 to 30.09: 10.30 to 20.00
1:10 to 2:11: 10.30 to 19.30
from 11.03 to 28.02: 10.30 to 18.30
CRYPT OF THE CATHEDRAL
The Crypt was buried to build on the expansion of the Cathedral. E 'was discovered almost by chance, a few years ago and it contains wall paintings from the second half of the thirteenth century. The colors remained underground for six hundred years, surprising their intensity which is the same as when they were painted
In rooms named Ex-Fonderie del Duomo houses the structures of the Cathedral dating back to the XII, XIII and XIV century.
Stairs of Saint John
Tel. 0577 283048
1:03 to 15:03: from 9.30 to 19.30
from 3.16 to 9.30: 9.30 to 20.00
1:10 to 2:11: 9.30 to 19.30
from 11.03 to 28.02: 10.00 to 17.00
MUSEUM COMPLEX SANTA MARIA DELLA SCALA
was one of the oldest hospitals in the world built along the Via Francigena to give assistance to the pilgrims who came to Rome.
Its instituted by the canons of the Cathedral although the legend speaks of the shoemaker Sorore died in 898 AD
The series of paintings of the room tells the story of the Pilgrims Hospital who took care to provide medical care but also care for abandoned children called "foundlings".
Today is a museum complex that houses sms contemporanea (Contemporary Art Center of Siena), the Art Museum for Children, permanent exhibitions, exhibitions and conferences.
In the basement of the Santa Maria della Scala is the Oratory of Saint Catherine of the Night, where, according to tradition, St. Catherine went after attending the sick to rest on a bed visible through a window on the left wall.
The basement houses the Archaeological Museum in a maze of rooms and tunnels dug into the tuff.
Piazza Duomo, 2
Tel. 0577 224811
every day from 10.30 to 18.30
the ticket office closes at 18.00
CHURCH OF SAN DOMENICO
Construction of the complex includes the church and convent, which began around 1225 after a visit to Siena is St. Dominic, was ended after about forty years, although the current structure of the building is due to a further widening of the half of the next century.
The Basilica of San Domenico, is linked to the story of St. Catherine of Siena; indeed inside the chapel of the Times Sienese mystic would perform some of his most important miracles, while in the right corner of the nave, built in the second half of the fifteenth century by the family Bensi and decorated with frescoes by Sodoma, above the marble altar Giovanni di Stefano, is preserved the head of Santa transported from Rome to Siena by Raymond of Capua in 1384.
Among the various works of art the basilica also houses a fresco recognized as the oldest portrait of Catherine, painted around 1375 by the painter Andrea Vanni, his fervent follower, the famous Majesty of Guido da Siena, the Adoration of the shepherds Francesco di Giorgio and the Nativity of the Virgin of Alexander Casolani.